Thursday, October 7, 2021 - 5:00pm to 6:30pm
Join an esteemed panel of experts in education as they discuss traditional schooling and how to modernize it for the 21st century. In the discussion, moderated by Javier Arguello ‘03 (COGx Founder), panelists will speak to the following questions and reserve time for audience Q&A at the end of the session. More info on the session and panelists is included below.
Challenges with Traditional Schooling – Worsened by the Pandemic:
- The way students think they learn differs greatly from how they learn, as a result, drop-out rates increase from relying on ineffective learning strategies.
- Schooling decreases creativity and student engagement, which has only been exacerbated during the pandemic.
- Existing challenges have been magnified in the pandemic, there are more students at risk of failing and widening inequality gaps, particularly for those who are transitioning to college.
Science of Learning to Modernize Schooling - Discussion Points:
- What is the impact of COVID on learning and what are the future challenges that will affect learners?
- Online Learning – misjudging outcomes, improving delivery, and embracing its potential.
- What skills do colleges require for students to succeed that are still lacking and how can we better prepare all students to succeed in college, particularly those at greater risk?
- How can schools better address the adverse effects of COVID-19 on their students and educators, namely: learning loss, engagement, equity, and trauma.
- Returning to the status quo is not possible post-COVID-19. Why and how can we leverage the crisis to modernize teaching and learning?
- College Readiness. Facts, trends, and solutions (students unprepared to succeed in a system that is unequipped to breed success)
This webinar is sponsored by the Yale SOM Washington, DC and NYC Alumni Group Chapters.
Link here for more information and registration links.