The COVID-19 pandemic and policies of social distancing have led to a proliferation of virtual events held online. This is a collection of recorded events that have been hosted by various Yale departments and programs in the social sciences. They include speaker presentations, panel discussions, and training sessions. Enjoy!
Computation & Society Initiative (CSI) Coffee Break Series
- Coffee Break with K VijayRaghavan, Principal Scientific Adviser to the Government of India, April 22, 2020 event recording on Youtube.
- Coffee Break with Nicholas Christakis for an Overview of the Coronavirus Pandemic, April 16, 2020 event recording on YouTube.
Data Science Workshop: COVID HASTE
Hacking Across Science, Technology and Engineering
- Health & Technology Part I: Enabling Technology for Global Health (Including Strategies for Developing COVID-19 Image-derived Biomarkers), May 4, 2020 event recording on YouTube.
- Dean’s Discussion with Nicholas Christakis, May 4, 2020 event recording on YouTube.
- COVID-19 Social Science Research Opportunities for Students, June 4, 2020 Zoom video recording with Alan Gerber, Tesheia Johnson, Mushfiq Mobarak, Marcella Nunez-Smith, David Wilkinson, and Emma Zang. (Requires Yale CAS login)
- New Datasets for COVID-19 and other Social Science Research, May 26, 2020 Zoom video recording with Alan Gerber, Barbara Esty, Eli Fenichel, Anton Gollwitzer, Sara Gottlieb-Cohen, Roy Lederman, and Cormac O’Dea. (Requires Yale CAS login)
- COVID-19 Social Science Research Opportunities for Students, May 7, 2020 Zoom video recording with Alan Gerber, Molly Crockett, Gregory Huber, Rohini Pande, David Wilkinson, and Fabrizio Zilibotti. (Requires Yale CAS login)
- The Global Economic Order, November 19, 2020 with Oriana Bandiera, Guy Ryder, and Mark Van Der Weide moderated by Daniel Markovits.
- Nationalism vs. Cosmopolitanism, October 29, 2020 with Seyla Benhabib, and Michael Lind moderated by Samuel Moyn.
- Global Migration and Movement Across Borders, October 14, 2020 with Monette Zard and Demetrios G. Papademetriou moderated by Cristina Rodriguez.
- The Future of U.S. National Security, October 8, 2020 with Jake Sullivan and Victoria Nuland moderated by Oona A. Hathaway.
- Trade, Investment & Global Competitiveness in a Post-Pandemic Economy, August 27, 2020 event on Vimeo featuring Richard Levin, Carla Hills, Stephen Roach, and Kellie Meiman Hock with introductory remarks by John Negroponte.
- China’s Power and Influence in a Post-COVID-19 World, August 6, 2020 event on Vimeo featuring Ryan Hass, John L. Holden, Susan A. Thornton, and Jing Tsu with introductory remarks by Ambassador John Negroponte.
- How the Pandemic Will Shape International Politics, June 10, 2020 event on Vimeo featuring Ambassador Samantha Power, former U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations, and moderator Catherine Panter-Brick.
- Breakthrough Scientific Research at Yale, June 4, 2020 event on Vimeo featuring Akiko Iwasaki, Marcella Nunez-Smith, Anne Wyllie, and moderator Catherine Panter-Brick.
- Geopolitics and Strategy, May 28, 2020 event on Vimeo featuring Michèle Flournoy, Former Under Secretary of Defense for Policy, interviewed by Nuno Monteiro, Yale Associate Professor of Political Science.
- A View from the U.S. Senate, May 20, 2020 event on Vimeo with Sen. Chris Murphy (CT-D) interviewed by Howard Dean.
- Prospects for Recovery in the World Economy, May 13, 2020 event on Vimeo with Lawrence H. Summers in conversation with Richard Levin.
- Cyber Threats and Opportunities in the Digital Age, May 8, 2020 event on Vimeo with Brad Smith, President of Microsoft.
- The United States and Its Allies Under Stress, May 1, 2020 event on Vimeo with General Sir Graeme Lamb and General Jim Mattis.
- Crisis Diplomacy, April 24, 2020 event on Vimeo with former U.S. ambassadors Robert Ford, Francisco Palmieri, Anne Patterson, David Rank, Harry K. Thomas, Jr., and Susan Thornton.
- Lessons Learned from the Ebola Crisis, April 16, 2020 event on Vimeo with Ron Klain and John Podesta.
- The Economy and World Markets in Turmoil, April 9, 2020 event on Vimeo with Pinelopi Goldberg, Austan Goolsbee, and Howard Wang.
- Leadership in Crisis, April 3, 2020 event on Vimeo with General Stan McChrystal.
- Health, Politics & Economics in an Uncertain World, March 27, 2020 event on Vimeo with Vanessa Kerry, John Podesta, Stephen Roach, and Howard Dean.
- Shared Histories Symposium - Panel 2: Teaching in Times of COVID-19, September 26, 2020 recorded discussion with teachers from Sierra Leone, South Africa, and the United States on teaching in times of COVID.
- Applying for COVID-19 Funding Opportunities in the Social Sciences, April 8, 2020 Zoom video recording with Gina Della Porta. (Link to slide presentation.)
- Applying for COVID-19 Funding: An Overview of Opportunities and Resources, April 3, 2020 Zoom video recording with Gina Della Porta. (Link to slide presentation.)
This collaboration with the Petrie-Flom Center for Health Law Policy, Biotechnology and Bioethics at Harvard Law School considers the ethical, legal, regulatory, and broader social and institutional impacts that COVID-19 has had, as well as the longer-lasting effects it may have on our society.
- COVID-19 and the Law: The Health Care System in the Age of COVID-19, March 16, 2021
- COVID-19 and the Law: The Disparate Burdens of COVID-19, March 3, 2021
- COVID-19 and the Law: The Use of Biotech in the COVID-19 Pandemic, February 23, 2021
- COVID-19 and the Law: What COVID-19 Teaches Us About Health Justice and the Path Forward, February 16, 2021
- COVID-19 and the Law: COVID-19’s Legacy & Evolving Legal Doctrines, February 2, 2021
August 26 - November 18, 2020: This virtual workshop series and seminar led by Faculty Director Abbe Gluck ‘00 and Professor Ian Ayres ‘86 featured leading scholars, industry leaders, scientists, advocates, and government experts to discuss the pandemic’s intersections with, and disruptions to, many areas of law.
- COVID & Disparities, November 18, 2020 with Dr. Eliseo J. Pérez-Stable, Sarah S. Richardson, and Kendall Thomas.
- Apollo’s Arrow: The Profound and Enduring Impact of Coronavirus on the Way We Live: A Book Talk with Nicholas Christakis, November 16, 2020.
- COVID & Education; COVID, Ageism & Care for Aging Populations, November 11, 2020 with Daniel Markovits, Kimberly J. Robinson, Alison E. Hirschel, and Nina Kohn.
- COVID & the Economy; COVID & the Social Safety Net, November 4, 2020 with Daron Acemoglu, Yair Listokin, Andrew Hammond, and Karen Tani; cosponsored by the Law, Economics & Organization Workshop.
- COVID, Executive Powers, Emergency Powers & Civil Liberties, October 21, 2020 with John A. Ferejohn, Jack Goldsmith, Roderick (Rick) M. Hills, Jr., Bernadette Meyler, and John Fabian Witt.
- COVID, Federalism, & Localism, October 14, 2020 with Richard Florida, David N. Schleicher, Miriam Seifter, and David Skeet.
- COVID & Health Care Systems, September 30, 2020 with Mr. Mandy K. Cohen, Lawrence Gostin, Dr. Karen S. Rheuban, abnd Andy Slavitt.
- COVID, FDA, and Science, September 23, 2020 with Dr. Tom Cahill, Nathan Grubaugh, Dr. Margaret (Peggy) Hamburg, and Dr. Aaron S. Kesselheim.
- COVID and Ethics, Medical Rationing, and Disability, September 16, 2020 with Samuel Bagenstos, Dr. Joseph J. FIns, Harry T. Greely, and Peter Littlejohns.
- COVID & Constitutional Law, September 9, 2020 with Joseph Blocker, Douglas Laycock, Melissa Murray, and Stephen Vladeck.
- COVID & The Election, September 2, 2020 with Richard L. Hasen, Michael T. MOrley, Nathaniel Persily, and Charles Stewart III.
- COVID and the Incarcerated, August 26, 2020 with Judith Resnik.